Monday, September 5, 2016

Election Yard Sign Survey

Kirk Caldwell and Charles Djou
Election Day is a little more than two months away, and it appears challenger Charles Djou has a 3-2 campaign yard sign lead in the non-partisan race for Honolulu mayor over incumbent Kirk Caldwell

I'm talking of course about the usual plethora of campaign signs posted along the one-mile segment of East Manoa Road between my home and Manoa Marketplace. Every election year, I take my survey and prognosticate based on my count.

Save for the U.S. presidential and the Honolulu mayoral races, it's a yawner of a General Election coming up on Tuesday, Nov. 8. There are no state or federal House of Representatives or Senate yard signs staked in yards, or hanging from hedges and fences. No Board of Education or Office of Hawaiian Affairs signs either. No Honolulu prosecutor signs.

It's odd, but the candidate with the most yard-sign support on my little stretch of road I use to get to and from Manoa Marketplace, Asia Manoa restaurant, and my barber, usually wins the election.

Will Kirk Caldwell's controversial rail-completion plans get derailed? Are voters tired of what they perceive is incompetence and deception? Will there be a change in Honolulu Hale (City Hall) this year?

It remains to be seen, but the sign count usually doesn't lie.

No comments: