Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Shunning of the Green


Today is St. Patrick’s Day. March 17, right? It’s bad enough that people use the day to get drunk for a supposedly “legitimate” reason, but this year, it falls on a weekend and I shudder to think how boisterous it’s really going to be – all day, not just tonight – downtown Honolulu and in Waikiki.
Well, I’m here to tell you that there’s at least one group that’s not going to be wearing green, drinking green, or even munching green. It’s the doves that come visit me when I’m having my midday green tea break.
The other day, I took some Froot Loops cereal outside with me, and crushed a few of them as a treat for the zebra doves that come swooping in when they see me settle down for tea and a read. The little buggers are generally pretty picky, and if my treats aren't white or light brown, they sometimes shun my offerings.
Empirical observation: The yellow and cream-colored loops went first, followed by the other colors. Eventually, only one color of crumbles was left – green. For some reason, they just looked at the green, cocked their heads, looked again, and walked away. It’s like the green had halitosis or something.
A couple of hours later, when I went back outside, the green ones were gone. I don’t know if they got so hungry that they relented, or if the larger spotted doves muscled themselves in and ate ‘em.
My money is on the spotted doves.

No comments: