Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kentucky Down Under

One of the neat things I did when I visited Kentucky was head off to Horse Cave (great name, huh?) and check out Kentucky Down Under, which is sort of like the Australian Outback in Bluegrass land.
It’s not exactly cheap ($36), but if you’re a kid 14 or under, it’s $18. And if you’re preschool, it’s free. So make sure you lie about your age.
I didn’t have enough time, so I had to skip going to Kentucky Caverns. That was a bummer, but I wanted to make sure I saw the livestock – the Australian birds, the sheep, the kangaroos and wallabies, and especially an aviary they call the “Land of Lories.”
The Outback Walkabout is rather interesting, ‘cept they make you stay on the path and generally keep away from the kangaroos, allowing only controlled petting opportunities. Kangaroos can be quite dangerous if they get excited, and I wonder if they got some advice from lawyers, or (heaven forbid) if a guest was injured.
On the island of Kauai, here in Hawaii, there’s a restaurant called “The Bullshed.” Well, they don’t have a bullshed there at KY Down Under, but they do have a Woolshed where you’re given a lesson on the different type of sheep and the how their fleeces are used to help mankind.
It took the better part of a half-day, but I’m glad I took this side trip. Here’s a bunch of pictures that I took (just a few out of dozens):
Me ... and Birdy Friend

Grey Kangaroos

Red Kangaroo

Red Kangaroo Joey

Different Sheep Breeds

Milking Moo Cow
I’ll show you some birds next time.

No comments: