Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rules are Created for a Reason

I spent quite a few hours at the hospital’s surgery waiting room today while a neurosurgeon did some work on the wife.


And while I was there, I noticed something that really didn’t surprise me: People just don’t respect the rules any more.


On a table poster, plain as day, was a dictum that a maximum of two people were allowed to wait in the area for any one patient who was in surgery. That’s because seating is limited. Also, a sign implored people not to stand in the corridor as it served as a busy thoroughfare.


More than once, I watched as groups of 5-6 people crowded into the waiting area and hogged the seats, causing people to stand in the corridor and generally cause a traffic jam as patients were being gurney-ed to the operating rooms, and carts full of medical supplies passed by.


And more times that I can remember, the volunteer waiting area attendant had to chase the extra people out and direct them to another (general) waiting area so the “legitimate” companions could get out of the corridor and occupy the seats. Boy, were the people who had to move out peeved.


What I want to know is: What in the world has happened to respect for others, and for the rules?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manners are a thing of the past unfortunately. Not sure why either. It's not just kids who lack manners, it's their parents too.

Anonymous said...

A few months ago, we had to take Riley to the ER. The waiting room was fairly crowded and I was trying to figure out how many more patients were ahead of us to see how long the wait was. This teenager comes out with his arm in a sling and I swear, half the waiting room left along with him. His whole family and then some was there! I'm happy that he had a very loving and supportive family who was concerned for his well being, but I was very surprised. They had babies and young kids too, waiting for him!

Montee said...

Yes, it amazes me how blind and deaf that people have become to rules. One thing that irks me is that when you attend, let's say, an awards ceremony. The audience is asked to hold applause until the end, but they don't. I clearly heard the request not to clap, but about 200 others apparently did not. This situation happened at my son's baseball banquet.