Friday, September 17, 2021

Imprison the Elderly? Sure, Why Not?


I recently spent nearly three months at a physical therapy center after suffering a stroke that affected my left leg. While there, I felt well-cared for by the excellent staff.


Most of the 100 or so patients on the two therapy floors there were my age or older (read “elderly seniors”), so I can identify with both lists that follow.


Since returning home to in-home senior health care, a meme appeared on my Facebook page comparing seniors to criminals, and the treatment both groups would enjoy, if …


If we put the elderly in prison, they will get:

  • A shower every day
  • Video surveillance in case of problems
  • Three meals a day
  • Access to a library
  • A computer
  • A gym
  • Doctors on site
  • Free medication if needed


What should we do with criminals? Put them in homes, they’ll get:

  • Cold meals
  • Lights off at 7 p.m.
  • Two showers a week
  • A smaller room to live in
  • A monthly room rent bill of $4,000


Think about it. Sure says a lot about our societal priorities, doesn’t it?


No comments: