Friday, June 5, 2020

Iconic 1960s Photos

One thing about the aggravating worldwide COVID-19 social isolation condition — it’s giving me time to reflect on my life.

Watching PBS’s recent “Asian Americans” series, I thought a lot about my college and post-graduate days, and how dramatic news dominated our lives.

It was a memorable, dramatic, sometimes horrible, time in our nation’s history. Fortunately, it was capped off by two heart-lifting events that gave me hope, and I presume, most of America as well.

So I’m sharing some iconic ‘60s photos with you.

Pres. John F. Kennedy assassination,
November 1963

JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald shot
November 1963

UC Berkeley free speech demonstration
December 1964

Malcolm X assassination
February 1965

Watts (Lost Angeles) riot
August 1965.

Saigon execution, Vietnam War
February 1968

Rev. Martin Luther King assassination
April 1968

U.S. Atty. Gen. Robert F. Kennedy assassination
June 1968

Democratic Nat’l Conv. (Chicago) riot
August 1968

Mexico City Olympics Black Power salute
October 1968

Apollo 8 Earthrise
Christmas Eve 1968

Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong moonwalk
July 1969
What a memorable decade THAT was.

4 comments:

casch said...

You are so right! It was a memorable decade. Thanks for the (albeit sad) walk back in time.

Craig Miyamoto said...

You’re welcome, Carolyn. It was emotional, searching for these pictures.

Russell Jakubauskas said...

Great, iconic photo. Thank you, Craig. It was a decade of highs and lows, but we struggled through and moved on. I do wish we had learned a little more from these experiences, though.

Craig Miyamoto said...

I agree, Russell. But as is always the case, memory is short-sighted.