Monday, December 12, 2011

Mini Museum Crawl

Every time I think I’ve seen everything there is to see in Las Vegas, something pops up that’s been there for quite some time and yet has escaped my notice.

When I was flying over from Honolulu, a page in the inflight magazine caught my attention. They were talking about how the Nevada State Museum had moved in October into the Springs Preserve area of Las Vegas. Hey! I didn’t know that … I thought they were still in their old location.

Naturally, I planned a trip there. Unfortunately, my planning was a bit on the “hurry up” side of things and all I wrote on a piece of paper with the new address was: Take Valley View to Bonanza Road, turn right, then head toward Twin Lakes, turn left on Twin Lakes and it’s right there.

Hah! Easier said than done. As I was heading out, I saw Bonanza Road ahead of me, and figuring it was shorter to just turn right on Bonanza and find Twin Lakes, that’s what I did. Only I made a major boo-boo. I was on East Bonanza and had to get on West Bonanza. I drove and drove and drove and drove. Then I drove some more until Bonanza ended near some humongous church.

All I can say is thank God for the GPS on my smart phone. I turned it on (as I should have done in the first place) programmed in the address, and let the nice lady voice tell me how to get there. I was so ‘way off that it took me a half-hour to find the museum (it’s right next to The Meadows Mall, in case you think you’d like to find it yourself).

Serendipity! Not only is the Nevada State Museum there, the whole area is called Springs Preserve and there are a couple of museums and activity centers there. Admission to everything is less than $20 (senior price), and I swear a family can spend the entire day there.

Me? I had other places to go to, so I just did the Origen Museum (which had an interesting exhibit on animal poop, the whole scoop, and life in the desert (humans, reptiles and mammals) and the State Museum with its huge mammoth fossil skeleton that begins a timeline that slowly brings you up to the era of neon and glitter.

I’ll do longer posts on the museums at another time, but for now, I thought you’d like to see a couple of shots from each:

Entrance to Origen Museum

Origen Craft Area

The Nevada State Museum


Prehistoric Fossils on display


No comments: