Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Archimedes Screw

My grandson and I were watching a kid's science program on Roku about Archimedes when I was struck with a silly thought.

Where do inventors get their inspiration? I think wives have a lot to do with it – today, and in ancient times, like when the Greek Archimedes was alive.


You may have heard of the "Archimedes Screw," which is used to transport water to a higher elevation. The principle is now used to run wind turbines that generate electrical power.

Here's what may have happened, short and simple:

It's unknown if Archimedes was married, but for the sake of my story, humor me and let's just was that he might have been. If he was, and I like to think he was, his wife must have been a nagger, always on his case.

"Bring in some water from the well! And while you're at it, do something and make a name for yourself!"

One day, aggravated to the point of almost blowing his top and losing his water, Archimedes ran out the front door, slammed it shut behind him, and screamed at the top of his lungs, "AHH, SCREW IT!"

Screeching halt! Light bulb!

And that, my friends, is the genesis of the Archimedes Screw.


No comments: