Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Who Are These Guys Anyway?

While having dinner last night, I saw this ¼-page pink paper with writing on it sitting on the dining room table. So, being a meal-time cereal box reader, I picked it up to read.

 
It was announcing a 20th Anniversary Special Offer, something that always interests me. I turned it over to see what the offer was (after all, they did say “**Turn over for more information” at the bottom of the little flyer).
I turned the flyer over:
 
They were offering special November reduced prices on several menu items, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Hmmm, I thought, I should check out their regular prices to see if indeed the offer is a good one.
You know what? I couldn’t find the restaurant’s name anywhere on the flyer. Not on the front, not on the back.
There’s a cardinal rule in advertising: When you print an offer on a piece of paper, or a balloon, or maybe even a pencil – anything! – always put your name or company on it. That’s in case people like me get ahold of it, want to take advantage, and don’t know who to contact. Plus, me in particular, you know I’m going to make fun of it.
I had to spend valuable retirement energy to ask the wife where the flyer came from. Luckily, her brother, who had brought the take-out food, had also picked up one of those sample menus. So I checked the prices.
Hey, not too shabby. The Miso Ramen is regularly $7.75, it’s on special for $5.99. The Pork Fried Rice is regularly $8.25, it’s on special for $5.99. The Beef Curry Rice is regularly $8.75, it’s on special for $5.99. The Gyoza (4 pieces) is regularly $3.25, it’s on special for $1.75.
You’d better hurry, there are only five more days in the 20th Anniversary Celebration.
But where, you ask, is this happening? See what I mean? That’s why they needed to have their name on the flyer. I’ll tell you anyway … it’s Taiyo Ramen, 451 Piikoi St., Suite 105, Honolulu 96814, phone 589-2123. Tell them Craig sent you. That should confuse the hell outta them.

No comments: