Thursday, July 7, 2011

Annie Sibboney

One of the newer shows on Cooking Channel is “From Spain with Love,” hosted by raven-haired Annie Sibboney. Curious as to how I’d like the show, I DVRed the first episode and settled down a night later for a viewing.

I have to say that the show itself was pretty entertaining, with an almost-National Geographic quality to it, giving the viewer an insight into Spanish culture as reflected in its foods. It’s this quality that keeps me watching other food-related programs such as Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservations” and Andrew Zimmern’s “Bizarre Foods” on the Travel Channel. They go to the source.

“From Spain with Love” has that quality … kind of.
My problem with the show is host Annie Sibboney. Sure, she’s nice to look at, she seems to relate well to the people with whom she interacts in Spain, and she does a fine job when she's narrating. But when she talks to people, she’s got this … laugh.
Laugh, laugh, laugh … all the time, whenever she finishes a sentence of observation. It’s as though she’s nervous about how her Spanish hosts are taking to what she says.
It’s not a giggle (that would be even more horrid), but a laugh. Laugh, laugh, laugh. Irritating.
On that first show, I thought of rewinding, specifically to count the number of times she laughed. But I was nice; I didn’t. Recently, I watched the first half of another episode and did start counting – nearly 20 times in the first 15 minutes.
I didn’t watch the second half.

4 comments:

GiLi C. said...

Hi Craig,you sure did made me curious about this show,so I've checked it too,and you are so right...she doesn't stop laughing.
Sometimes for no obvious reason.
It's so annoying.
In my ladies scale that's a big minus.
Thought she's pretty hot,
and that's a little plus
....
She still gets minus.
What's so funny?

Craig Miyamoto said...

GiLi, I asked myself the same question. What IS funny? I think it's some sort of seeking / apologetic / nervousness kind of thing. I'm sure a psychologist could tell us what the right word is. I betcha there's a name for it.

~ Craig

GiLi C. said...

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a psychiatric name for this weirdy laugh,hope for her it's with a rollin' R.
God...that's another thing I've noticed about her,every time she talks spanish she does that rollin' R it's like rrrrr like when she say vermouth it ends up as verrrrrrrrrmouth.Oh my God.
Though I still think she's hot so we still kinda like her right?

Craig Miyamoto said...

Actually ... I do! That's the reason I tuned her in, in the first place. Just have to try and get over that laugh and it'll be just fine.

~ Craig