Thursday, August 6, 2009

It Was a Zoo Out There

The wife and I took a walk at the Honolulu Zoo today, despite the torrid tropical summer sun that beat down on us, yet still occasionally cooled by the trade winds that blew in from the Pacific Ocean across the street at Kuhio (Waikiki) Beach.

She hadn’t been there in, I suspect, at least 25 years, so it was kind of a treat for her. We walked and walked and walked and stood and peered and sought out the animals who were hiding in the shade, out of the merciless heat.

Honolulu Zoo is nothing really special insofar as zoos go. It definitely can’t compete with the National Zoo in DC, or the San Diego Zoo, but it’s a nice zoo that’s trying hard, improving its exhibits when it can.

As we stood in line to buy our tickets, it looked like “Kid’s Day at the Zoo.” I counted no fewer than 10 kiddie strollers in line with us. The parents looked primarily local, but these days, one can’t really tell, as tourists often bring their own strollers with them.

Anyway, I saw a couple of signs that gave me pause to chuckle. Maybe you’ll get a kick out of them too.

Sooo ... Is waving permitted?

I'm so glad you told me!

1 comment:

Danielle Lum, APR said...

I'd like to have the "scream * clap * annoy" sign for my office, please.